About the company
Placentia’s colorful history began in 1837 when the Mexican Governor granted the Rancho San Juan Cajon De Santa Ana to Juan Ontiveros. This land grant included the area which today comprises Placentia, Anaheim, Fullerton and La Habra. Our first pioneer was Daniel Kraemer, who purchased 3900 acres in 1865. Three years later, William McFadden and his wife, Sarah Jane acquired 100 additional acres in this area. Many other settlers arrived in the following years. As our community slowly developed, schools and churches were erected.
The school district’s original name was the Cajon School District. In 1878, at the suggestion of Sarah Jane McFadden, the name was changed to the Placentia School District. The city name came from that change. Placentia is derived from a Latin word meaning "pleasant place to live."
Placentia was placed on the map in 1910 when A. S. Bradford persuaded the Santa Fe Railroad to re-route their track through this area, thus shortening the rail distance to Los Angeles. A station was built and packing houses were established for the town’s growing citrus industry. Mr. Bradford also laid out the main streets of the town; and, in his honor, Bradford Avenue retains his name today.
The climate and rich land attracted an ever-growing number of new residents. Five hundred citizens voted to incorporate in 1926. The area was well suited to the raising of citrus, walnuts, avocados, and grapes. Placentia became the center of Valencia orange growing and packing.
In 1960, Placentia’s population had reached only 5000; but, at that time, a phenomenal growth period began. In ten years, by 1970, the population increased five-fold to nearly 25,000. Today, Placentia is still a fast-growing community of 45,000 residents, with beautiful suburban homes, good schools, stately churches, and wholesome recreation.
We are not the only "Placentia" in the world. A check of the World Atlas reveals a Placentia in Newfoundland. Placentia Point is a geographical feature on the coast on British Honduras. Hannibal, with his army and warrior elephants, camped in Placentia in Northern Italy prior to crossing the Alps.